[cmake-developers] Review request: extract-cmMessenger branch

Daniel Pfeifer daniel at pfeifer-mail.de
Thu Jun 9 03:49:46 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have pushed a extract-cmMessenger branch to my clone:
>
>  https://github.com/steveire/CMake/commits/extract-cmMessenger

I have rebased it to master and cherry-picked some minor changes.
Once those minor changes land in master, I will rebase again and then
have a closer look at the individual commits.

> The motivations are:
>
> * Decrease responsibilities of the cmake class. CMake uses too few
> classes for too many things

+1

> * Make it possible to make add first-class handling of messages about
> missing packages (for example) to cmake-gui by making methods on
> cmMessenger virtual and subclassing

That sounds useful. But long term, I would rather base ccmake and
cmake-gui on top of the daemon.

What I would like to have, is separate subclasses for gcc-style and
msvc-style messages. In gcc-style, messages look like this:

<file_name>:row:column: error: <text>

In msvc-style, messages look like this:

<file_name>(row,column): error: <text>

This would make it easier to jump to the location in IDEs (and
powerful editors).

> * Make it possible to emit messages through the daemon (also by
> subclassing) together with backtrace and message type, relieving clients
> from having to parse the text.

+1

> I'm interested in what you think of the approach.

Very useful overall. I'll write more once I had a closer look.