[cmake-developers] CMake daemon-mode

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 09:07:19 EDT 2016

Hi Brad!

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
<snip>

>> A big chunk of Stephen's work has not even landed in my branch yet. Since cmake
>> reformated all the source in the meantime it is a bit tedious to apply patches
>> from his tree and I have simply not yet needed the changes as I did not venture
>> where he went yet.
>
> See commit v3.6.0-rc1~54^2~2 (82df6deaaf).  Its commit message explains
> how to rebase across the style transition.  If you rebase the original
> "cmake-daemon" branch on that then we can rewrite the style to make
> cherry-picking later easier.

Thanks, that might prove helpful.

So far i basically picked the same sha, that worked surprisingly well.

>> At this time I think I will need to duplicate a chunk of code from one of the
>> generators to find the flags. Is that really necessary? If so: Which generator
>> should I copy the code from?
>
> We should be able to refactor things to share the flags computation.
> Methods like
>
>   cmLocalGenerator::GetTargetFlags
>   cmLocalGenerator::GetIncludeDirectories
>
> are meant to be used across multiple generators.  Due to historical
> evolution in generator design not everything has been refactored to
> cleanly share such infrastructure across all generators.  Stephen made
> a lot of progress on that front, but there is still a way to go IIRC.

So is that the complete picture?

You can override compile time flags on a per-file basis, based on the
code I ran across in the ninja generator:-) Do I still need to add
those per-source-file flags somehow?

Best Regards,
Tobias