[cmake-developers] CMake daemon-mode

Daniel Pfeifer daniel at pfeifer-mail.de
Tue Jun 7 05:27:37 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Tobias Hunger <Tobias.Hunger at qt.io> wrote:
> Please help to support your use-cases.

A while ago I wrote a graphical cache editor in GTK:
https://github.com/purpleKarrot/cmake-gtk
The tool reads the cache and provides a graphical view to modify it.
It can then write the cache, run cmake, and read it back.

I wanted to see how close we can get to ccmake or cmake-gui without
linking against CMakeLib.

Here is what I was *unable* to achieve:
* Separating Configure from Generate (two buttons).
* Progress bar.

Quite a short list, right?
If we have a daemon mode that provides this information (as your
implementation already does), we could let ccmake and cmake-gui use
the daemon instead of linking against CMakeLib.

cheers, Daniel