[cmake-developers] Bug in CMake: Generated Ninja files do not work on Windows

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jun 6 11:00:49 EDT 2016

On 06/06/2016 10:11 AM, "Michael Jäntsch" wrote:
> I would like to report a bug which I found in CMake 3.6.0-rc1. However,
> it is also present in release 3.5.2 and probably earlier releases as well.

> The generated rule in rules.ninja for linking static libraries contains
> the command for actual linking and an additional command ": $TARGET_FILE".
> This works fine on linux but fails on windows (":" is not a valid command).

I'm not able to see the behavior you describe.  The Ninja generator is
well-tested on Windows.  The code that generates a ":" command is here:

  https://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Source/cmLocalNinjaGenerator.cxx;hb=v3.6.0-rc1#l291

but is conditioned to generate "cd ." on Windows hosts instead.

Where did you get the CMake binary you're running?

What toolchain are you using to build?

Can you provide a sample CMakeLists.txt file (or source tarball)
that shows the problem?