[cmake-developers] cmake -E capabilities [attempt 2]

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Thu Jul 21 08:53:19 EDT 2016

Hello fellow developers,

https://github.com/hunger/CMake/commits/cmake-capabilities

has my attempt to get "cmake -E capabilities" merged -- in preparation of the
server mode.

Brad already merged a big chunk of the changes, but he wanted to see the extra
generator registration cleaned up before continuing. That has happened in the
new push: The first patch adds a cmExternalMakefileProjectGeneratorFactory,
which has all the necessary information so that cmake no longer needs to create
instances of all extra generators during startup.

Extra generators can now alias others -- which is used for the KDevelop3
generator. Maybe we can just remove that? The comments claim the generator is
for compatibility with cmake 2.2. That would shave a couple of lines of that
patch...

The capabilities work on top of that branch is mostly unchanged, but exposes an
"isAlias" flag. I now suppress all aliases in the output of -E capabilities  as
I think it makes no sense to have new code announce compatibility bridges (and
the last version already hardcoded KDevelop3 to be suppressed).

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der