[cmake-developers] Don't enclose CMake version to generated files

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Jul 11 13:01:13 EDT 2016

On 2016-07-11 17:17+0200 Christoph Grüninger wrote:

> Hi Ben,
> this comes from the open build system, which is the system used by
> openSuse to generate the packages. If the CMake version is updated,
> which happens quite often, the generated files are altered and the
> packages are rebuild, repackaged and republished.
> Without the version number in the generated files, it wouldn't
> happen.

Hi Christoph:

For the use case you describe, shouldn't that rebuild happen to maintain
consistency between the openSuse version of CMake and all the openSuse
packages that are built with CMake? CMake does have a large degree of
backwards compatibility, but it is not perfect so I think the version
does matter.

Another way of saying this is you might want to consider CMake to be
part of the tool chain (like gcc is) where any version difference is
presumably considered to be quite significant and therefore worth a
rebuild of binary packages.  I don't know what openSuse policy is for
gcc version changes, but presumably such changes are heavily
controlled to reduce rebuilds, and openSuse has the option of
following that heavy control of version change policy for CMake
instead of doing what I consider to be a workaround which is patching
CMake to remove version information from the generated results.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin