[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015945]: "Target Platform Version" Option in Visual Sutio 2015

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Fri Jan 29 13:51:38 EST 2016

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15945
Reported By:                Gehua Yang
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15945
Category:                   (No Category)
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2016-01-29 13:51 EST
Last Modified:              2016-01-29 13:51 EST
I am trying to compile code and generate binaries that's compatible with Windows
7/8/8.1.  Following MSDN's suggestion, I can set "Target Platform Version" under
the General tag to use SDK 8.1, which works fine for me (see screenshot).  The
real problem is this change is not preserved after a CMake run.

This issue is very similar to Issue https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15686 and
Issue https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15670.  I read through the report under
both and learned that one can use CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION to change the "Target
Platform Version" value across all projects in a VS solution.

Perhaps it is not a bug and simply caused by not doing things right. But I
cannot find any more documentation related to this on web. My apology in
advance!
However, I tried to do that with CMake 3.4.3 (latest release from cmake.org),
but the projects generated does not contain this TargetPlatformVersion tag and
hence its value is still defaulted to 10.0.10240.0.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. In CMake GUI, set CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION to "8.1". Finish Cmake.
2. Open Visual Studio 2015 and open the property page of any project.
3. Go to "General" tab.

Additional Information:
Related to Issue https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15686 and Issue
https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15670