[cmake-developers] CMake daemon for user tools

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 16:03:22 EST 2016

Milian Wolff wrote:

>> I'm concerned that the memory usage of a daemon implementing the proposed
>> capabilities may be too large to be practical (at least without a major
>> redesign of certain structures that tend to duplicate substrings, or
>> some kind of out-of-core approach).
>
> This sounds like optimizations to that daemon will benefit CMake.

FYI I merged a reduce-allocations branch to next for testing. It came from
Milian here:

 https://github.com/steveire/CMake/pull/1

Milian also mentioned the possibility of using something like a sqlite
database (probably what you meant by out-of-core above) for definitions for
querying by the daemon.

I also mentioned some possibile optimization possibilities, such as removing
the closure of definitions created for all directories. I wrote a branch
which does that some months ago, but it resulted in a slow down. I'll see if
I can rebase the commit to master and push it to github, together with a
patch for avoiding computing the hash multiple times in cmDefinitions.