[cmake-developers] Visual Studio 2015 FastLink

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Jan 12 14:30:18 EST 2016

On 01/11/2016 03:29 PM, Thomas wrote:
> https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15894
>
> I'm writing to request support for the /Debug:FastLink flag which was introduced in visual studio 2015 (update 1), and the option to generate full PDB informations.
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/10/16/debug-fastlink-for-vs2015-update-1.aspx

Thanks.  I've applied that change:

 VS: Map link `/debug:fastlink` flag to VS 2015 IDE property
 https://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=fc5d6592

> About the "Generate Full PDB informations"
[snip]
> That option seems to doesn't have a (public) command line switch,
> instead it relies on an XML property.

If there is no command line switch then how does the IDE behavior
change when the FullProgramDatabaseFile property is enabled?

> What's the best way to set a TARGET or global property which would
> enable the switchless XML property in the generator?

Existing target properties that influence VS project generation but
nothing else mostly have names starting in "VS_".  If the target
property would have effects on other generators then we should use
a more generic name.  Either way, please include associated updates
to the documentation.