[cmake-developers] patch building and testing

Mike Fitzgerald michaeljohnfitzgerald at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 22:36:50 EST 2016

Hi cmake-developers,

I'm a bit new to this, so please bear with me!  I wanted to fix an issue
(#13666), so I did the following:

1.) Cloned the git repo, ran bootstrap and make.
2.) Wrote some code in cmVisualStudio10TargetGenerator.cxx.

Running make again didn't seem to recompile anything, which seemed
strange.  Am I meant to run bootstrap (or bin/cmake, I guess) each time I
want to recompile?  The relationship of these tools and the source files
isn't clear to me.

Once I recompile, I want to make sure I didn't break anything.  There
appears to be a full suite of tests in the Tests folder, but how exactly do
I run them, and from where?  I couldn't find instructions for this on the
wiki or in source.  The README in the Tests folder mostly concerns how to
add a test, not run the existing ones.

Thanks for the help (and patience)!

- Mike