[cmake-developers] Add command line options for deprecation message control

Michael Scott michael.scott250 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 18:52:27 EST 2016

Hi Brad,

To round off the -W options functionality, I've implemented the -Werror
and -Wno-error set of options for the two current types of messages, dev
and deprecated. This includes updating the QT GUI to include new options
for controlling this functionality.

The third patch is not for new functionality, but addresses two small
inconsistencies relating to dev and deprecated messages functionality,
it's not needed at the end of the day but I thought it would be good to
make the code consistent while I was in the area.

Lastly I'm also looking at changing all the current usages of the
cmake::IssueMessage command, where the message type is dev warning. To
check if the warning got upgraded to an error (by checking if the error
state has been signalled with the cmSystemTools class), and change the
return value of the calling function for example. I think this was
discussed previously, however I think this might not be the right change
to make. There's quite a few instances of the above code and changing
them all is dangerous I imagine where I don't know exactly what all of
the callers are generally doing and should be doing. It also implies an
undocumented rule that future users of the above functionality should
also do this check, which doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  What
are your thoughts on this last point?

Cheers,
Michael