[cmake-developers] Support of Scala language

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Feb 18 10:06:12 EST 2016

On 02/18/2016 06:28 AM, CHEVRIER, Marc wrote:
> Currently, there is a module UseJava.cmake which mix two aspects:

This module is not a good example of how to do a language in CMake.
It somehow became the way to do Java in CMake because the builtin
support for enable_language(Java) was never really made to work right.
(It tries to do separate compilation which is not really generally
possible in Java due to circular dependencies of nested classes.)

If we're starting with support for a new language then we should
add it properly as a first-class language.  Eric and Michael (in Cc)
have been working on this for Swift and C# recently.  Likely there
is some overlap in design space.