[cmake-developers] CMake Daemon

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:26:00 EST 2016

Hi Stephen,

thanks for that information! Now I can finally fix the tests again
(and add a couple for the error cases
my branch handles;-).

I did play some more and implemented support for consistent progress
reporting and multiple protocol versions now in my branch at

https://github.com/hunger/CMake/tree/cmake-daemon

This unfortunately resulted in the interaction with the daemon changing a bit:-(

Upon start the daemon now sends:
{"supportedProtocolVersions":[{"major":0,"minor":1}],"type":"hello"}

You need to reply with something along the lines off:
{"type":"handshake", "protocolVersion": { "major": 0 }}

Daemon will respond with:
{"cookie":"","inResponseTo":"handshake","type":"reply"}

and listen for commands.

"version" will work at this point, but you need to do:

{"type":"initialize", "buildDirectory":"/some/build/dir"}

to trigger the actual parsing of data.

Afterwards all the usual commands are available as before.

I did not yet update the tests with this change, so I did not create a MR yet.

I also want to do some small (but intrusive) changes to how
cmServerResponse objects are created.

Best Regards,
Tobias