[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015968]: Ninja generator is non-deterministic

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Wed Feb 10 12:13:57 EST 2016

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
https://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=15968
Reported By:                Chris
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15968
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             2016-02-10 12:13 EST
Last Modified:              2016-02-10 12:13 EST
CMake's Ninja generator is non-deterministic on our project (LLVM). This is
trivially reproducible by configuring llvm into a clean directory multiple times
and comparing the results.

This is a very real problem for our project because the nondeterminism in the
generated ninja build seems to be the cause of non-determinism in our build
outputs. One of the important methods of compiler testing is what we call a
3-stage build. The process is basically:

(1) build clang
(2) use clang from step 1 to build clang again
(3) use clang from step 2 to build clang again
(4) ensure clang from step 2 and clang from step 3 are binary identical

Today this works using the CMake Unix Makefile generator, but not using the
Ninja generator. This issue reproduces on CMake 3.4.x and CMake 3.5.0 rc1. I
assume it probably goes back quite a long ways too.

Steps to Reproduce:
mkdir scratch
cd scratch
cmake -G Ninja <path to llvm>