[cmake-developers] Drop support for older Xcode versions?

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Feb 8 10:48:30 EST 2016

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 10:31:17 -0500, Brad King said:

>Sean, it looks like you are still running nightly tests on OS X
>10.6 with Xcode 4.2:
>
>  https://open.cdash.org/viewNotes.php?buildid=4226138
>
>and OS X 10.5 with Xcode 3.1:
>
>  https://open.cdash.org/viewNotes.php?buildid=4226202

Yeah, mostly because those machines haven't died either. :)  If/when it's decided to drop those Xcodes, I'll switch those builds to makefile generator.

>Given Apple's encouragement of developers to always update...

They certainly do, as Eric described.  However, just like everyone else, Apple often ships regressions in Xcode and it's sometimes vital to be able to use older versions.  Similarly, if you want to deploy an app to an older OS, it's very useful to be able to build-run-debug on that OS, and since the newest Xcodes only run on the newest OSes, one needs an older Xcode to test/debug on older OSes.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com