[cmake-developers] Drop support for older Xcode versions?

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Feb 8 10:21:21 EST 2016

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 11:49:07 +0100, Gregor Jasny via cmake-developers said:

>I'd like to get your feedback on deprecating or dropping support for
>older Xcode versions. During changes on the Xcode generator it gets
>harder and harder to test against old and very old Xcode versions like 3
>and 4.
>
>Are there still users around for these versions of Xcode?

Wikipedia has a nice table of Xcode & OS X:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode#Version_comparison_table>

The problem with supporting only current - 1 as Eric suggests is that also excludes older versions of OS X, see the 'min OS X to run' column.

What's the oldest version of Xcode that CMake currently supports?

Personally, I think supporting Xcode 5.0+ would be reasonable at this point.  It was released about 2.5 years ago and can run on OS X 10.8.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com