[cmake-developers] CMake 3.5 generation time

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Feb 4 12:57:42 EST 2016

On 02/04/2016 10:29 AM, Bartosz Kosiorek wrote:
> I downloaded cmakes from website:
> https://cmake.org/download/
>
> All generation were done on clean output (deleted all files generated by cmake)
> on the same repository version, in the same directory.
> The only difference was cmake version used for configuring.
>
> How I could check what was caused such long times?

Try also timing the second and third runs on a single build tree
to get timings without all the platform introspection tests.

You could clone the CMake Git repository, build from source with
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo and then run it through a
profiler (e.g. valgrind --tool=callgrind).  Alternatively you
could `git bisect` between v3.4.3 and v3.5.0-rc1 to see if there
is a small range of commits that causes the regression.  That
could really help narrow it down.