[cmake-developers] import another compiler to cmake

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Wed Dec 21 09:31:33 EST 2016

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 13:00:29 +0100, Payam Samimi wrote:
> I'm working for a big company in Germany as software developer. They
> develope their code and test modules in c++ and using CMake. Additionally
> they use their own compiler which is company specific and they would like
> import or connect their own compiler to CMake, that Cmake can use it. So,
> this is my task, and I would like to ask you whether you have any
> suggestion that could help me.

Adding a compiler to CMake is possible, but in order to ensure that it
continues to work, a nightly dashboard would be helpful to catch any
problems changes introduce for the compiler. Instructions for setting up
a dashboard are here:

    https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git/Dashboard

To actually add support, it would need to be added to the detection
logic under the `Modules/Compiler` directory and to the
`Modules/CMakeCompilerIdDetection.cmake` module. Docs would also be
necessary.

There also may be more, but that is a minimum. Brad knows much more, but
is currently on vacation until the second week in January.

Thanks,

--Ben