[cmake-developers] VS Toolchain Support

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Aug 24 08:21:36 EDT 2016

On 08/23/2016 01:58 PM, Olmstead, Don wrote:
> is there any work being done to more accurately create project
> files for different toolchains?

No one is actively working on it AFAIK.  The central tracking
issue for this is here:

  https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/16153

Basically one needs to add a bunch more flag tables and then teach
the generators to choose a table based on the toolset rather than
the generator.

The additional tables could be hard-coded in the C++ source.
Alternatively one could design a JSON format to look up the tables
from some resource directory that comes with CMake.  That would allow
additional tables to be added without re-compiling.  I don't think
we should allow projects to provide the files themselves though
because we should reserve the right to refactor them at will.