[cmake-developers] Security in CMake

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Mon Aug 22 13:17:39 EDT 2016

Hi Egor,
Is this intended to run on Linux?  If so, I think you're FAR better off
leveraging an existing security framework like SELinux, since it's actually
designed from the ground up to enforce these types of controls.  You could
define a label that you place on the executables run by the package manager
and then enforce whatever restrictions and controls you feel are
appropriate. This will let you do things like block network access got the
specific CMake executable used by the package system.  It allows the CMake
scripts to leverage all the available language and command features but
deny, ant a system level, actions you deem unsafe or harmful.

Chuck Atkins
Staff R&D Engineer, Scientific Computing
Kitware, Inc.
<%28518%29%20881-1183>