[cmake-developers] ninja/make compilation response file

Dmitry Ivanov Dmitry.Ivanov at king.com
Mon Apr 4 11:59:30 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

We have a strange situation where we do have too many include paths, which makes command line for obj compilation too long on windows (more 32kb).
I've tried using set(CMAKE_NINJA_FORCE_RESPONSE_FILE 1), but apparently after checking cmake upstream I've realized that it's only implemented for linking, and not compilation.

What we should do (other than fixing "the problem" with too many paths) ? Would be nice to have this feature working for makefiles and ninja.

PS. Can we do something about bloated cmake ninja generator ? in our case cmake generates 1.8 Mb Makefile and 84 Mb build.ninja, though ninja is still faster than make even in this case.

Best,
Dmitry