[cmake-developers] compute-default-dialect topic

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Sep 16 14:28:36 EDT 2015

On 09/16/2015 02:22 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> The default dialect computed with the compiler id may not be the
>> same as the effective default dialect when CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS is
>> considered.
>
> I pushed another fixup which may disable the test in that case, and may also
> disable it with GNU 6 and other compilers with default standard >= 11.

That may fix the trouble for CMake's test suite, but might this
also be a problem for projects in general?  Actually this could
be an existing problem whether CMake computes or memorizes the
raw compiler default.  If we're making decisions about what flags
to add based on CMAKE_<LANG>_STANDARD_DEFAULT, but the user has
already specified their own -std= flags in CMAKE_<LANG>_FLAGS,
might we end up with the incorrect standard level, or multiple
flags?