[cmake-developers] find_program HINTS no longer preferred over PATH

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Sep 14 14:00:12 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-14 10:51-0400 Brad King wrote:

> On 09/14/2015 03:05 AM, CHEVRIER, Marc wrote:
>> Any news on this subject?
>
> Chuck has had a fix in 'next' for a few days:
>
> find_*: Fix search order when the environment duplicates some HINTS
> http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=ec8e5fb3
>
> but the topic is still missing a test case.

Hi Brad:

My judgement is this is a fairly important find regression that is
likely to affect most users (like me) who are trying to find some package that
is in a non-system location when the same package exists in the
standard system location.  Therefore, my thanks to Marc for
discovering and documenting this issue, and my thanks to Chuck for
coming up with a fix for the issue.

Because this find regression is against 3.1.3 from what Marc said, may
I assume you are planning to include the fix for this regression in
both future cmake-3.2.x and 3.3.y releases?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin