[cmake-developers] [Patch] Adding Windows 10 support

Gilles Khouzam Gilles.Khouzam at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 10 21:31:10 EDT 2015

Here is the patch for Windows 10 Support which would be issue 15686.

This is dependent on the patch for issue 15674 which is the version detection change.

>From the commit message:
This change adds support for Windows 10 Universal Applications.

A Windows 10 Universal Application can be targeted by setting:
CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME=WindowsStore and CMAKE_SYSTEM_VERSION=10.0
There are no WindowsPhone apps, universal apps target both phone and store.

New Properties Added:
VS_TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION: Target property. Specifies that the SDK being
used to compile the project. For Windows 10 RTM, that will be 10.0.10240.0.
For Store apps, this property is required by Visual Studio. If the property
is not specified, the system will be queried for the available Windows 10
SDKs installed and the most recent but less than or equal version than the
host system version will be set as a default (in
CMAKE_VS_TARGET_PLATFORM_VERSION) and used.

VS_TARGET_PLATFORM_MIN_VERSION: Target Property. Specifies the minimum
version of the OS that the project can target.

VS_DESKTOP_EXTENSIONS_VERSION, VS_MOBILE_EXTENSIONS_VERSIONS,
VS_IOT_EXTENSIONS_VERSION: Target property. When specifying these properties
a reference to the version of the SDK specified will be added to the project
allowing to target the extended functionality in a universal project.

VS_IOT_STARTUP_TASK: Target property. Specifies that the target should be
built as an IOT continuous background task.

VS_TOOL_OVERRIDE: Source property. For common files, allows to modify the
tool that gets applied to the source file. For example, when adding a
.RESW file to the project, since CMake doesn't know how to handle them, it
will assign a None Tool to the file. This allows to override the default
and specify a new tool to handle.

This change requires the change for issue 0015674 for determining the
version of the OS.