[cmake-developers] Has CMake been ported to z/OS

David Crayford dcrayford at gmail.com
Tue May 19 07:58:08 EDT 2015

On 26/03/2015 1:23 AM, Brad King wrote:
> On 03/25/2015 05:46 AM, David Crayford wrote:
>> Has anybody ported CMake to z/OS?
> I'm not aware of any such work.
>
> The only knowledge of z/OS of which I recall was added here:
>
>   Teach compiler id about VisualAge -> XL rebranding
>   http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=115ecc57
>
> It simply distinguishes the zOS compiler from XL and VisualAge
> compilers because both define __IBMC__ or __IBMCPP__.  However,
> no platform or compiler information modules are available for
> zOS.
>
> I'm not familiar with z/OS other than in that it exists.
> Porting to be hosted on there may be quite a bit of work if
> it is not POSIX-like.  (A VMS port was done in the past but
> has not been maintained.)  If cross compilers are available
> to build for z/OS from another OS maybe that would be simpler.

z/OS really needs a port because cmake is starting to become common for
new projects.

z/OS has a POSIX stack called Unix System Services which is decent,
although it sticks firmly to POSIX standards and lacks features you
would find
on Linux. It also has an excellent C/C++ compiler. I've done many ports
before and I've had a look at cmake and it build ok with a little bit of
work. The
problem is EBCDIC and the flex lexer and C++ regex functions. I might
have a crack at it and help we be eagerly received.