[cmake-developers] A CMAKE_EMULATOR variable

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Mar 30 11:15:13 EDT 2015

On 03/29/2015 09:32 PM, Matt McCormick wrote:
> That sounds cool. I have implemented it in the emulator-property branch [1].
>
> The variable name that defines the default for the
> CROSSCOMPILING_EMULATOR property is CMAKE_CROSSCOMPILING_EMULATOR.

Thanks.  That looks pretty good, but needs some tweaking:

In each place that you ExpandListArgument to get the emulator
command and arguments and write them out before an executable
name, you need to be sure to make the proper call to escape
each argument.  In each case the code just below your hunk
does this for the test arguments.

The Tests/RunCMake/pseudo_emulator.cxx tool must be able to
compile with any of the compilers we test, not just those that
host the build of CMake.  It will be more portable to use a
.c file with <stdio.h> and printf.  Also, please make it print
out each argument in quotes so one could match expected output
in the future.

> +RunCMake_TEST:STRING=AddTest

Why is this needed in InitialCache.cmake?