[cmake-developers] Explicit custom command BYPRODUCTS

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Mar 18 13:16:01 EDT 2015

On 03/17/2015 05:50 PM, Adam Strzelecki wrote:
> Does this BYPRODUCTS extension landed into 3.2?

Yes.

> is there any new POLICY to tell CMake to stop generating
> implicit phony rules for Ninja as proposed in:

Not yet.  For out-of-source builds the only place that the
phony rules can show up is for custom command dependencies in
the build tree that are not the OUTPUT of other custom commands.
With 3.2 now that list can be cut further by listing BYPRODUCTS
for those custom commands that produce them.

IIUC the remaining issue is that for in-source builds all the
custom command dependencies on source files now get phony
rules.  We need a policy to drop this behavior altogether and
ask that projects explicitly specify their BYPRODUCTS.
Correct?