[cmake-developers] .gitattributes updates

Robert Dailey rcdailey.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 21:02:47 EDT 2015

Hey everyone,

This isn't a huge change but I think it is important.

I noticed that .gitattributes was not properly configured to utilize
modern Git features:

1. "* text=auto" to specify automatic line ending handling for files
that git detects as text files
2. Replace deprecated attribute specifications with newer versions
3. General cleanup and removal of redundant attributes

One patch file is a line-ending conversion that does nothing more than
replace CRLF with LF. This must be done since the goal is that all
files are stored natively as LF in the actual repository. Line ending
conversions are applied to the working copy as needed (e.g. LF -> CRLF
on Windows for certain files, like VCPROJ)

Note that this isn't simply a "cleanup" change. There were actually
some things wrong with the current gitattributes:

1. Some files were not properly being handled by git
2. Git config settings on a per-machine basis affected the EOL
normalization in the repository

These changes will enforce consistency and ignore per-machine settings.

Let me know if the changes look acceptable. I'm happy to answer any questions.