[cmake-developers] Extracting target metadata, IDE integration

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Mar 6 11:12:57 EST 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 9:05 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 03/02/2015 09:10 PM, Aleix Pol wrote:
>> I created a new version of the patch:
>> http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/0001-cmake-Add-option-to-generate-target-metadata-for-IDE-v2.patch
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Samples:
>> LLVM: https://paste.kde.org/pelr1ditp
>> A small random KDE project: https://paste.kde.org/pgkbecv5p
>
> The "location" values need to be inside the "configs" elements because
> they can vary with the configuration in multi-config generators.
> Also the name "location" may not be specific enough.  Some targets
> may have multiple output files (e.g. .dll, .lib).  See the breakdown
> of $<TARGET*FILE:...> generator expressions:
>
>  http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.2/manual/cmake-generator-expressions.7.html#informational-expressions
>
> Some set of values like that will be more useful.
Good point, I changed it to use $<TARGET_FILE:tgt>. Showing a
directory didn't make much sense anyway as we have more information
with the full file path.

> If the the "directory" value is GetCurrentOutputDirectory, the
> build tree location of the project file, then that does not need
> to be per-configuration.  In that case perhaps the name should be
> something like "build_directory" or "project_directory".
Used output_directory to match internal cmake naming.

https://paste.kde.org/p5ogjqi2n
https://paste.kde.org/puzgrgkzy

And the new version of the patch (sorry my hosting seems down and I
can't connect).
https://paste.kde.org/pq0xungvq

Aleix