[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015618]: HDF5 headers have migrated in linux/debian/sid -- FindHDF5.cmake doesn't detect them

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Tue Jun 16 09:30:00 EDT 2015

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Sebastian Wouters
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15618
Category:                   Modules
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   crash
Date Submitted:             2015-06-16 09:30 EDT
I got the following comment from someone who's helping me package my code for
debian:

> 4. The include for HDF5 in CheMPS2/include/chemps2/MyHDF5.h is not
> working for me, there's no /usr/include/hdf5.h (anymore?). If I replace
> that with '#include <hdf5/serial/hdf5.h>', it builds fine.

I have currently used a work-around to make debuild work for sid:
https://github.com/SebWouters/CheMPS2/blob/master/CheMPS2/CMakeLists.txt

According to HDF5's specifications, one should include <hdf5.h>, see section 5
on the page
http://www.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/current/src/unpacked/release_docs/INSTALL

In sid's packaged hdf5 version, this file is installed in
/usr/include/hdf5/serial/:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/libhdf5-dev/filelist

Would it be possible to modify the FindHDF5.cmake so that it detects the hdf5
headers on sid and correctly sets the HDF5_INCLUDE_DIRS variable?

Steps to Reproduce:
Download and install debian/sid
Get cmake, libatlas3-base, libgsl0-dev, and libhdf5-dev with the package manager
Download chemps2 commit 226b04dfc07589804fbf7bf2b78b409b08d937eb, or earlier
Try to build chemps2 with cmake

Additional Information:
The discussion at debichem's mailing list:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debichem-devel/2015-June/005963.html

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change