[cmake-developers] Custom commands with Ninja on Windows

Florent Castelli florent.castelli at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 06:01:06 EDT 2015

Hi!

I'm having some issues with Ninja on Windows with long custom commands (or
actually a long succession of short commands appended to the same target).
The problem is that they get concatenated in one single command using " &&
" and it is pretty easy to go over the 8k command line size limit on
Windows.

So I've been thinking that on Windows, instead of concatenating everything,
we should be a script that is run using a response file that just runs all
the command with error checking. Eventually, we could reuse
cmLocalVisualStudioGenerator::ConstructScript() for that matter.

Any thought about this? Any hint for implementing this myself in the Ninja
generator? Do you think of another way to fix this issue?

Thanks,
/Florent