[cmake-developers] A policy for Policies

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 14:20:46 EDT 2015

Brad King wrote:

> We designed
> policies to give projects smooth transitions from old to new behavior.
> If we suddenly make an error occur in code that currently works
> warning-free it will give policies and CMake a bad name.

Ok.

Actually I re-discovered this today in KDE4

 http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdelibs.git&a=blob&h=a9aecfd3&hb=dde411c1&f=cmake%2Fmodules%2FFindKDE4Internal.cmake#l349

So, KDE4 as a platform breaks the cmake compatibility design for its
downstreams. At least ECM, used by KDE Frameworks 5, doesn't do that.

I still think they should be unconditional warnings. I also think we should
make them REQUIRED_* eventually, but I expect you now never will.