[cmake-developers] A policy for Policies

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 17:46:41 EDT 2015

Brad King wrote:

>> I'd also be glad if missing cmake_minimum_required in root CMake
>> list/script would be treated as error and not as warning since you can
>> get old policies in by accident.
>
> Yes, we should consider enforcing CMP0000 in script mode too
> or perhaps add a separate policy for it.

Yes. The good news is that

1) Most policies affect things related to the buildsystem/targets etc which
are not in scope of scripts. So scripts affected by policies are rare (which
is why this hasn't come up before).
2) Scripts which are affected by policies (such as CMP0010, CMP0054) can
almost always be changed such that they also work with ancient cmake.