[cmake-developers] A policy for Policies

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 16:15:35 EDT 2015

Brad King wrote:
> Also, no mention of this decision can be made in 3.3 because we are
> already past the deadline for that release.

This isn't a 3.3 feature but a change to the documentation/release notes
which is supposed to be ok?

> On 06/08/2015 03:52 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Given what you wrote about the impact of making CMP0011 required, I've
>> instead documented all policies <= CMP0011 as deprecated for 3.3, making
>> them fair-game for 3.4.
>
> Sorry, but that schedule is way too aggressive since we've never removed
> policies before.  There may be unforeseen problems with enforcing these
> policy settings.

I've changed the release notes to say 'some future release' instead. So, we
can figure that out on a per-Policy basis.

> There could still be code paths that never set the
> minimum required version of CMake and therefore never set the policy
> to NEW.

Will that ever not be the case?

> Any refactoring that depends on removing support for OLD behavior
> needs to wait until after a release or two have removed it.  We need
> to retain the possibility to revert the removal if major problems
> arise.  I don't want the fallback to be "re-implement post-refactoring"
> because typically this may be revealed during a release candidate
> cycle.

I think that's overkill for something like CMP0044 as I described in my
other mail. It would be easily re-added. This seems like something to apply
on a case-by-case basis.