[cmake-developers] A policy for Policies

Mike Gelfand mikedld at mikedld.com
Sun Jun 7 13:09:32 EDT 2015

On Sat, June 6, 2015 13:36, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Code for Policies is also often complex. I often encounter Policies which
>  are ancient and which get in the way of code clean up generally.

Exactly the reason I don't understand why you'd want to add another policy
to affect policies. Won't this complicate things even further? If you want
so much to remove some ancient code, just do that instead. After all, you
want this new policy to recommend using older cmake release anyway, so
what's the difference (except that removing old policy will not
_recommend_, but _force_ someone to use older release, which is normal
practice in most/all the other programs I'm using)?

As a side note, removing the policies will result in CMPXXXX (where XXXX >
1) to become the first policy, which one may find odd. You might also
think of starting to give policies symbolic names instead of sequential
numbers.

Regards,
Mike