[cmake-developers] NMake Batch-Mode Rules (was: Inquiry on contribution to NMake generator)

Florent Castelli florent.castelli at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 06:55:31 EDT 2015

At my company, we didn’t bother trying to use NMake.
We used the Visual Studio solution generator and the proper compilation flags and msbuild flags to build in parallel. This proved to speedup our builds quite a lot and was very easy to integrate.
The other solution you mentioned is “ninja” and sped up our builds even more. The msbuild tool is not smart enough and with a number of targets high enough and enough files per target, you can just generate n^2 parallel compilation processes, which can be counter productive. Though, you can manually specify the parallelism factor you want for both msbuild and cl.exe and you get decent results.

Give those a shot, NMake is deprecated in Visual Studio land and has been superseded by msbuild.

And if your devs complain about having to install some tools before compiling, just give them a script that downloads and setup CMake and Ninja on their system. It’s easy to do and should reduce the number of complaints!

Regards,
Florent