[cmake-developers] [MODERN] CMake 3.3 vs Qt 5.5 vs MSVC2015

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 12:04:00 EDT 2015

On 23.07.2015 17:24, James Johnston wrote:
> That sounds horrible - asking a user to manually run Windows Update.  But
> Windows Update packages don't have to be installed ONLY by way of visiting
> Windows Update manually.

The support issue is certainly cumbersome given that users will be told
that some DLL that they haven't heard of before is missing rather than
that they need to update an operating system component by running
windows update.

But this will only be an issue for users which don't run windows >= 10
or which don't run regular updates (I'd have assumed this comes in
through automated updates as well unless disabled?).

Given sufficient time this should therefor become a non-issue.

I rather think it is nice that this is considered an operating system
component rather than a visual studio version specific runtime component
(e.g. reduced application installer sizes and centralized updates) but
this might work best if you also treat it as such (unless you
specifically have to target e.g. outdated/unnetworked machines).

Nils