[cmake-developers] Build OS X packages with CPack from Ubuntu

David Zemon david at zemon.name
Mon Jul 20 00:00:24 EDT 2015

Hello,

I'd like to build OS X packages for my project. Is that possible with
CPack? My project doesn't actually have any native binaries - it's for
embedded systems - so I don't need to cross-compile or anything. The
installation is very simple and, on Linux, looks like this:

  * /usr/PropWare/
      o include/
        Contains headers for embedded target
      o lib/
        Contains static libraries for embedded target
      o version.txt
        Version file
  * /usr/pwcmake/
      o CMake binary distribution downloaded from cmake.org - I just add
        a few extra config files specific to my embedded target to make
        configuration a bit easier
  * /usr/bin/
      o cmake -> /usr/pwcmake/bin/cmake
      o cpack -> /usr/pwcmake/bin/cpack
      o .... (sym links to each of the executables in CMake)

That's it! Really simple. But when I run "cpack --help", the list of
generators at the bottom doesn't include anything for Mac.

    Generators
       7Z                          = 7-Zip file format
       DEB                         = Debian packages
       IFW                         = Qt Installer Framework
       NSIS                        = Null Soft Installer
       NSIS64                      = Null Soft Installer (64-bit)
       RPM                         = RPM packages
       STGZ                        = Self extracting Tar GZip compression
       TBZ2                        = Tar BZip2 compression
       TGZ                         = Tar GZip compression
       TXZ                         = Tar XZ compression
       TZ                          = Tar Compress compression
       ZIP                         = ZIP file format

Am I dreaming? Can I package my software for Mac from Linux or am I just
SOL?

Thanks,
David