[cmake-developers] topic 'ctest-change-id'

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at kitware.com
Wed Jul 15 11:22:05 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> On 07/15/2015 10:57 AM, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
> > The new element `ChangeId` is added to Build.xml and Test.xml.
> > Did you consider adding it as an attribute in `cmCTest::StartXML`
> instead?
> > That would make this (very useful) information available in all xml
> files.
>
> I think that would make sense since all submitted .xml files are
> associated with the change identified by the ChangeId.
>
> Zack?

I did consider that.  The reason I went with the current approach is that
StartXML() only defines attributes on the <Site> tag, which doesn't
logically seem like the right location for this information.  Change ID
should be associated with the build/test/update/etc step being performed.
Instead, I followed the example set by <StartDateTime>, which is
independently set by each of the CTest handlers.

That being said, I don't have very strong feelings about this, so if you're
all okay with Change ID being a Site attribute I could move it to
StartXML().