[cmake-developers] Adding Swift support to CMake

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jul 8 14:42:03 EDT 2015

On 07/08/2015 02:35 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> "Since Apple is the only vendor implementing the language
> right now, the compiler id can be just `Apple`."

Even if another vendor implements it the one we're identifying
will still be provided by "Apple".  The above wording was poor.

> This seems somehow wrong. Naming it based on some state 'right now' doesn't
> seem future proof. The 'MSVC' compiler id is not called 'Microsoft', the
> 'QCC' compiler id is not called 'QNX', 'XL' is not called 'IBM'.

The PGI compiler id is "PGI".  The PathScale compiler id is "PathScale".
The TI compiler id is "TI".  The GNU compiler id is "GNU".  The Cray
compiler id is "Cray".  The Absoft compiler id is "Absoft".  There is
plenty of precedent to use the vendor name.