[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015637]: Consider escaping all utf8 chars in XML test output

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Wed Jul 1 10:32:46 EDT 2015

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
https://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=15637
Reported By:                Zach Mullen
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15637
Category:                   CTest
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2015-07-01 10:32 EDT
Right now, any characters we deem non-printable are escaped in a non-standard
way, e.g.:

    "[NON-XML-CHAR-0x1B]"

Instead of the standard NCR escaping: "&#x1B". I propose that we change to using
NCR escaping to provide more portable XML and let CDash (or other consumers of
the XML) decide how to render those characters. For instance, my personal use
case involves terminal control characters -- services like travis render colors
and styles in the web UI just as they would appear in a terminal, and it would
be nice to enable CDash to do the same thing without having to look for our
nonstandard string.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change