[cmake-developers] Windows Store generated solution also containing win32 console app?

Robert Goulet Robert.Goulet at autodesk.com
Tue Jan 27 12:03:30 EST 2015

Hi all,

When generating VS solution targeting the Windows Store system, it turns out that ALL projects gets to target Windows Store. In the event that the solution also contains a project that is a simple Win32 console application that perform some tasks on files needed by the final Windows Store app, it looks like this is currently not possible.

Looking at the code, it seems CMake uses a global variable that essentially means that the generator targets a Windows Store app. This makes it difficult to hack it to control this per project rather than globally. A quick test shows that it is possible to have a solution that contains both Win32 console targets as well as Windows Store app targets in Visual Studio.

How should I go about this? I would like to avoid creating two distinct build folders with their own solutions and having to deal with paths once we want to execute commands. What if CMake could simply force specific projects to be Win32 console apps? Or perhaps the other way around, add a new token in add_executable to specify if it's a Windows Store app (just like WIN32 or MACOSX_BUNDLE, could have a third one: WINSTORE)?

Thoughts?

Robert Goulet
Senior Software Developer
Games Solutions Group