[cmake-developers] Introduce 'Unix Ninja' generator

Daniel Levin dendy.ua at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 04:11:50 EST 2015

Story short: we need Ninja generator running on Windows with Unix
environment. With exactly the same purpose as 'Unix Makefiles' one.

Where this is used: actually, in the same cases when 'Unix Makefiles' used
on Windows.

Particularly in my personal case 'Unix Ninja' generator is the only way to
use Ninja with QNX toolchain on Windows. The background of this is horrible
default make performance that comes with QNX SDK. At the same time regular
Ninja generator cannot be used with QNX SDK because latter always emulates
Unix environment in his toolchain. So we stuck with 'Unix Makefiles'.

And even more exciting news, I already done this for you. Attached patch is
fast forward to v3.1.0 tag. It is not supposed to be clean and maybe does
not cover all tricky use cases, but it works damn good for me when building
huge QNX project with tens of libraries and executables in the same
directory.

Please review and tell me what do you think overall about this idea.

Thanks,
Daniel