[cmake-developers] Extracting target metadata, IDE integration

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jan 2 15:48:12 EST 2015

On Tuesday, December 23, 2014 01:30:58 Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Anton Makeev
> > * No progress indication. Since the generation may take several minutes,
> >
> >   providing feedback is crucial.
>
> I never found such case, I would argue that a project which has a
> cmake script that takes several minutes is broken, but maybe we can
> open a thread to discuss it?

On network file systems things can get slow... (even if the file system feels
really fast in general usage, i.e. has high data throuhgput).

> > * Not sure if it’s possible at all - a lightweight phase where CMake only
> >
> >   collects necessary information (list of files/targets, compiler
> >   settings).
> >   This will help IDE react to the changes much faster.
>
> That would be extra-cool, agreed. Maybe it's an iteration we can
> consider in the future.

Yes, this would be cool, but until now whenever I thought about this my
conclusion was that this is unfortunately not possible, since the
targets/files/etc. can depend on anything, if() clauses, execution of
commands, results of find_package(), etc.

Alex