[cmake-developers] CTestCoverageCollectGCOV and ctest_submit(CDASH_UPLOAD)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Feb 23 09:47:06 EST 2015

On 02/23/2015 07:52 AM, Nils Gladitz wrote:
> I was wondering how these differ in functionality from the old
> ctest_coverage() and ctest_upload(FILES).
>
> Specifically I couldn't tell from the existing documentation what new
> use cases or features the new implementations support.

Currently it is just a different implementation of the same use cases.
However, logic for processing the gcov output moves from CTest to CDash.
The ctest_submit(CDASH_UPLOAD) command doesn't just upload files, it
contacts a new CDash API to send files with (json) metadata.  Over
time this will allow more coverage types to be added without having to
modify CTest, and CDash will be able to process tool-specific coverage
output and display it in a custom manner.  Previously CTest had to
mangle the output of various tools into the Coverage.xml format that
CDash expects.