[cmake-developers] COMPILE_LANGUAGE generator expression

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 13:21:44 EST 2015

Regarding

I have implemented a COMPILE_LANGUAGE generator expression, to revisit the
conclusion of this thread:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/6844/focus=6875

I've pushed a branch to my clone as target-language-genex:

 https://gitorious.org/cmake/steveires-cmake/commits/target-language-genex

The design is to allow COMPILE_LANGUAGE in compilation properties (compile
options, compile defintions, include directories), and in the generator
expressions of file(GENERATE).

The problem remains that the IDE generator features may not be compatible
with this design.

Is there any updated knowledge since

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/6844/focus=6855

I saw commit 06e527b3 (Merge topic 'xcode-flags-per-language', 2015-02-10)
go in recently, but I don't know if it relates to this.

Even if the issue can be solved for compile options and compile definitions,
it seems that for the IDEs, include directories may pose greater problems
because there is no way to keep one list for that, while also allowing the
context to be compile language dependent?