[cmake-developers] [vc12/idl] output directory problem

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Sat Feb 21 07:58:45 EST 2015

>> i'm having troubles with the midl compiler of generated msvc2013 project
>> files: the generated projects contain a hardcoded output directory:
>> $(IntDir). however having this property, the midl call fails for me. if
>> i remove this property, or replace it with $(ProjectDir)/$(IntDir) it
>> compiles fine.
>
> Can you please post a complete sample/minimal project tarball that
> shows the error you see?
>
> It could also be demonstrated in the form of a patch to CMake that
> updates Tests/VSMidl to show the problem.

i'd love to provide a reduced test case, though i can only reproduce
this in a complex real-world buildsystem, with dozens of libraries and
some include_external_msproject / add_dependencies pairs ...

fwiw, i've been able to work around this with vanilla cmake-3.1, by
moving the .idl file and the source including the iid file("_i.c") into
a separate static library.

--

that said, i wonder: why would it be ok to use a relative path in the
generated project ... or, what would be the disadvantage of using an

best,
tim