[cmake-developers] Introduction and volunteering for the Matlab package

Raffi Enficiaud raffi.enficiaud at free.fr
Thu Feb 19 16:15:34 EST 2015

> On 19 Feb 2015, at 18:52, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
>
> On 02/19/2015 11:54 AM, Raffi Enficiaud wrote:
>> On the system I am working, matlab in the PATH is a symlink with
>> r & x permissions
> [snip]
>> Is there any internal in the find_program to check what conditions
>> are not met?
>
> What are the permissions of the underlying file after resolving
> the link?  The find_program command wants "r" permission, and it
> always unwraps symlinks.

If I continue the chain:
renficiaud at madeira3:~$ ls -al /etc/alternatives/matlab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Oct 20 15:32 /etc/alternatives/matlab -> /is/software/matlab/linux/R2014a/bin/matlab
renficiaud at madeira3:~$ ls -al /is/software/matlab/linux/R2014a/bin/matlab
-r-xr-xr-x 1 stark is 55331 Dec 27  2013 /is/software/matlab/linux/R2014a/bin/matlab

r permission are definitively there and the user is allowed to run this command.
BTW, I cannot see in the documentation that find_program unwraps symlinks. By myself, I explained the observed behaviour as find_program being blind to symlinks.

>> you propose to merge the variables MATLAB_USER_ROOT and
>> Matlab_ROOT_DIR, is that correct?
>
> Yes.  Furthermore, if we can always compute the other information
> from that value then as little of it should be cached as possible.

Ok, will do then.