[cmake-developers] Extracting target metadata, IDE integration

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 07:02:53 EST 2015

Aleix Pol wrote:

> Hi guys,
> It's been since August with this. I understand we're all busy but this
> step is important for KDevelop as well as for other IDE's and I
> wouldn't like this to rot.
>
> Please, let's keep it moving forward.

As far as I'm aware, it needs to move forward from this point:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/10711/focus=12151

I'm not certain the design is finished (eg what the file should contain now
or eventually). I asked for tests/documentation as a way to trigger getting
the design finished. Having either would give us a list of use-cases and we
would know what's in scope and what's not in scope (eg whether compile
options/link options are in scope and why).

Another question: do you have any opinion about whether this should be one
global file or one file per directory? I don't know - it seems like
something that might or might not be relevant for tooling. Is the size of
the generated file a consideration?

How well does this feature work with large projects like VTK or a combined
build of LLVM/Clang/lldb/libcxx/other ll projects.