[cmake-developers] Please comment on ios-universal topic

Ruslan Baratov ruslan_baratov at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 06:16:58 EST 2015

On 10-Dec-15 13:55, Gregor Jasny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 09/12/15 10:21, Ruslan Baratov wrote:
>>> IOS_INSTALL_COMBINED_BINARY
>>
>> Just to clarify you want to leave only one variable
>> IOS_INSTALL_COMBINED_BINARY for the device + simulator on iOS platforms.
>> Other platforms (in future) will be controlled by using *_ARCHITECTURES
>> variables, right?
>
> Right. Any objections to that property name?
>
> Thanks,
> Gregor

TL;DR I'm finding it a little bit confusing but can't propose any better
alternatives so I have no objections :)

Some thoughts:
* arm64 + armv7 is a universal binary, arm64 + armv7 + i386 - well,
still universal binary too :)
* OSX_ARCHITECTURES affect architectures on iOS. Probably it should be
IOS_ARCHITECTURES or just ARCHITECTURES (though MACOSX_BUNDLE works same
way)
* OSX_ARCHITECTURES=armv7 -> build armv7, OSX_ARCHITECTURES=armv7,arm64
-> build universal armv7+arm64, but OSX_ARCHITECTURES=armv7,arm64,i386
doesn't build armv7+arm64+i386 binary
* hard to say anything about future improvements, like if it will be
easier to implement universal binary in build directory on Android, then
*_ARCHITECTURES looks better. but if it will be easier to build one
architecture then add extra code to add more on install then
INSTALL_UNIVERSAL_BINARY for all platforms looks better

Ruslo